Hello Family,
Well, this was one of the very toughest weeks of my entire mission. Sorry to say, I had the very grave disappointment of having an investigator, Alina, not make her baptismal date. The very day of her baptismal interview, and two days before her scheduled baptism, her mother succumbed to a heart crisis that forced her to the hospital. Alina, the 18 year old mother of a 6 month old baby girl, had to go with her mother to the hospital while her uncle, the only other member of her family, stayed home with the baby. The next day, having received no sign of life from her aside from a hastily sent SMS phone message that her mom is sick and she can't come to the interview, we went to the butchery stand where she works 12 hour days 6 days a week. There, we rescheduled her baptismal interview for that night, as she was hopeful that her mother's situation would resolve. Once again, she didn't show up, and she wasn't answering her phone. They found out that night that her mother would be in the hospital for at least two weeks, that she would probably need a heart operation, and that the hospital costs and doctors bribes would be enormous. They were barely getting by as it was, and now they will have to pay both medical fees and the wages for a babysitter to watch the baby girl Susan while Alina works. Though still wearing her usual casual smile and grateful for our moral aid and support, Alina, understandably, feels unprepared for baptism in the midst of this crisis and, perhaps more pointedly, unable to covenant to pay tithing in this period of financial and general stress. Having no recourse, we are trying only to be with her, to support her, and to help her in some degree to maintain contact with the church and with God. It would be really great if you could keep her and her mother in your prayers.
With all of these disappointments, however, there was a really bright and wonderful silver lining that made the week worth it. Andreea, another 18 year old investigator girl, was baptized on Saturday in a wonderful ceremony that was certainly accompanied by the Spirit and a very special day for her. She has a very powerful testimony, many good and close friends in the church, and a great desire to serve in the Lord's true church. She will be a great contribution to the branch and a wonderful addition to the church in Bacau.
Also wonderful was the great opportunity of going to Bucharest on Wednesday to hear Elder and Sister Hafen of the 1st Quorum of the 70 come speak to us on the unique contributions of the restored gospel to our understanding of the nature of man, of Christ's Atonement, and of how we can apply Christ's mercy and grace in our everyday lives. It was very uplifting and quite energizing to see and hear them speak to us. It was also quite a fun challenge to translate all 7 hours of instruction for Elder Niculaie who knows pretty close to absolutely ZERO English. Though I ended up a tad hoarse after speaking for so long, I was quite pleased to have the practice and to help him appreciate the words of an authorized servant of God in our midst.
Oh yeah, on a very different note, we also went to the circus on Monday.
That was a lot of fun to be with members and investigators, but I have to admit that it was pretty disappointing overall. The circus was called the European Circus, and, true to European form, felt it necessary to compensate for lack of talent with a lack of clothing. Thus, we found ourselves averting our eyes occasionally as the female "acrobats" did backflips and somersaults with all the grace and talent -- and about half the clothing -- of BYU cheerleaders. It was mostly pretty boring, but there were some acts and gags that were worth the $3.50 we paid to get in.
Oh yeah, I got your package at the Elder Hafen conference, by the way. That was really fun. I really appreciate all the food and truly love the tape. I also appreciate the fact that you didn't feel compelled to send me a ton of stuff. I know that you want to, but I would really prefer not to be one of the "huge package" missionaries that is constantly receiving junkfood from overly doting parents. What you sent was just perfect, and the tape was worth ten times the value of all the beef-jerky and Swedish fish in the US.
Speaking of things Swedish, Jenn seems to be doing well, though disappointed in not having, for some reason, received my last 3 or 4 weeks of e-mails. It seems she hasn't heard anything through you since I came to Bacau. Perhaps you have mis-entered her email address? Whatever the case, could you resend her the last few emails. Her address is jennifer.gardner@myldsmail.net. She was invited to eat at a members' house for Thanksgiving and seems to have enjoyed that. Unfortunately, her current area seems to be kind of tough on her health, as the weather is kind of crazy there, so if you could keep her in your prayers as well, that would be great.
I will look into those three requests that you asked of me, Mom. Tell Alyssa Mortenson congrats from my part for getting in early to the "other" Y, and tell Robbie good luck in his college admission process. I'm sorry to hear that Belle is feeling sick, but I'm sure that she'll be plucky and bouncing around in no time. Also, I am very proud of Courtney for her great report card, way to go Quarter!! And, I have to agree with Mom that a life without cable is wonderful. :) Stay tough, Dad, in dealing with all the irrational homeowners. I have to say that I can appreciate the frustrations of irritation people, as we run into enough of them in the course of our proselyting here. I really have to get going, but I look forward to hearing from you, and I love you much.
With much love,
Elder Walker
P.S. When making your plans, I think I would like to stay at least 5 days or so in Romania. Just by the way. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment