Monday, November 27, 2006

Fericita Zi de Recunostinta (A Happy Thanksgiving)

Buna Familie,

Well, another week of good work has passed here in Bacau. The branch, though still struggling with Sunday attendance and other such normal problems, seems to be doing rather well. Last week, an investigator came to play the piano on Sunday. He is an old Pentecostal man with vision problems, and though very musically talented, had a very hard time pounding out the notes. It was pretty funny to have him play the keyboard while Veronica (a convert of 4 months) waved her arm in an attempt to conduct the music while the congregation, many of whom are tone-deaf, tried to warble loud enough to not notice the embarassingly incorrect notes being played -- at which Mitica, the piano player, turns the keyboard up louder, the congregation hightens the warbling, etc... Suffice it to say that everybody was actually greatful that he was unable to come to church yesterday, and I played the piano in his place. I spent about 30min/day practicing various hymns this week, and on Sunday, they all came off perfectly. Quite a pleasing experience. (Though if Mitica comes again, I wouldn't hesitate to let him play, as I am sure he will continue to play better and better with time.)

Our Branch President, Vlad Balasei, is a great help. He is young -- about 26 -- a return missionary from London, and very willing to do his job, though pretty hesitant in making decisions such as callings, etc.. Even with his hesitations, however, he is getting to be consistent in his efforts to meet with us, and he is constantly willing to aid us with investigators. His sincerity, humor, and energy are a great aid to us as missionaries.

As for our investigators, we are very pleased with the work in general here in Bacau. We have 4 people in the city currently set up for baptism. Two of them will be baptized next week, and the other two the following week. We are pretty sure that these will go through, and are very excited for both the branch and the individuals. Our main investigator, Alina (18 year old with a 7 month old daughter) is doing really well and very excited to be baptized next Sunday. She has had a very hard life, full of trials and some very poor decisions. BUT, despite getting pregnant at an early age after hooking up with a 28 year old bar rat, Jimmy, from Miami, she has made a series of extremely good decisions that force me to admire her strength. Though abortion is the popular decision here, she gave birth to her baby daughter and has raised her even after the father left two weeks after her birth. She works 13 hours a day 6 days a week and from 6 to 1 on Sundays to pay for her daughter's needs. When the missionaries met her and Jimmy about a year ago, she encouraged their visits in hopes of changing Jimmy and helping him stop smoking and drinking. In time, she came to appreciate for herself the importance of having the gospel in her life and in her home and has finally committed to baptism. Though she can't come to morning services because of work on Sundays, we have started holding an after-noon sacrament meeting for her and a handful of members with similar problems. She is very smart, pretty, and talented, and though burdened by heavy trials and pressures, she is constantly happy. I am so very greatful that she will have the gospel in her life to guide her and her family.

Elder Niculaie is doing really well! He has grown immeasurably much in his brief time in Bacau, and I am sure that he will be a great full-time missionary if given the chance. He is a great support to me and an inspiration of obedience, humility, and courage -- especially given that he has a rather timid manner, it has been a great effort for him to handle the duty of being an open-mouthed missionary.

For Thanksgiving, President Ashby made an exception to the usual "treat it like a regular work day" rule and gave us an extra hour for lunch. Thus, us and the other elders had a true Thanksgiving buffet replete with chicken breast, mashed potatoes -- with American gravy, sorted vegetables and even pie and ice cream. You may be asking yourselves, 'Did Walker really eat mashed potatoes and vegetables?' Indeed, I did... AND, I liked them. Interestingly, since coming on my mission, I have found, under the necessity of eating foods with which I am not accustomed, that I can eat and enjoy pretty much everything. With the glaring exception of 'piftie' -- a Romanian holiday specialty of cold meat served in congealed animal fat and gelletin from the respective animal bones. It's not really so much the taste as the texture that triggers the regurgitative proccesses upon consumption. Maybe I'll see if a member could make some for you when you come to pick me up. *malific smirk*

Tonight, we are going to the circus for FHE with the branch. Wednesday, all the missionaries from the entire country will be going to a combined Zone Conference in Bucharest with Elder Bruce R. Hafen, who will be speaking on Grace and the Atonement. I can hardly wait for both occasions!! Still no news on Elder Kozlenko from Russia. I hope he ends up getting here eventually at least!

In rest, my life is great. I love being a missionary. I love serving in Bacau. I seek to be obedient, and I love seeing the Lord work miracles around me. Thank you for all your love and support.

Love muchly,
Elder Walker

No comments: