Tuesday, July 20, 2010

One For All, and All For One... or the Four Stooges?

It had been six years since the four of us siblings were all together. I really really enjoyed seeing Dave and Kath and Tim last week when I visited Dad and Ella in Iowa. We all laughed hard several times during out time together, telling stories, sharing memories, looking at old pictures, and celebrating Tim's birthday. Dad has some real photographic treasures, and he was kind enough to share them with us. I had never before seen the pictures of us as little children. My, how we have changed.



Oh, boy, did I love that little red bike. It was a girl's bike (Kathy rode it before me) and the tires were solid rubber, but I remember the first time riding it without assistance -- no training wheels and no adult running alongside -- and it was glorious.

I distinctly remember a time when my always tentative balance was jeopardized by a quick turn of the handlebars. In that very instant I felt an epic (for my young age) moment of decision. I could succumb to the inevitable and "bail out" to avoid the pain and embarrassment of a crash, or I could try something new. I remember standing and pedaling with all my might, all the while it seemed that I was leaning over at a 45 degree angle. I felt risky, committed, striving, focused, and consciously choosing to succeed rather than fail. To my amazement and delight I DID succeed, I DID stay upright. Some days I think back on that day and think it has never been better than that.

2 comments:

ashley said...

wow. you can really see courtney has the frahm genes looking at these pictures. cool!

phfrahm said...

How fun to have you and the other kids all here! So much laughter! Now to see this collection of pictures of you as you grew up is an added pleasure. Who could ask for better kids?
love,
dad