Monday, October 30, 2006

Halloween Happenings

Hello Family,

Unfortunately, this week's email has its fair share of sad news, so prepare yourselves. First, I found out this morning that I will be white-washed out of Ploiesti, meaning that both Elder Despain and I are leaving. That is really not a fun thing. I was almost sure that I would stay, but I suppose the Lord had other plans.

Second, we had the great pleasure of receiving a couple of excellent referrals that have turned into investigators with baptismal dates. They are a husband and wife -- Ion and Georgeta -- who are looking to change their lives and have already quit smoking after having heard about Joseph Smith and the restoration. We are really excited for them.

Secondly, our 17 year old investigator, Narcis who was going to get baptised on the 12th of November, has asked for his date to be bumped up to the 5th. He is progressing quickly, has started coming to seminary and other activities in addition to church, and professes the desire to serve a mission. He is very sincere and probably the best investigator of my mission. Not to mention, a great ping-pong player. It will be sad to have to leave before seeing him enter the waters of baptism. His mom has also commited to baptism, though she wants to take it a bit slower. She is currently praying about a date. They are great to teach because they are very open, love asking questions, and are excited to learn. She even made us some Romanian donuts for our lesson with their family on Sunday evening.

Third, we discovered that Elder Haddock has scabies. HE has been itching for a long time, so that's a relief to find out the cause after such a long time of being in the dark. I also discovered, however, that I was most probably infected as well -- in the course of multiple exchanges in which we slept in each other's beds -- and I am beginning, myself, to start itching in my armpits, inner thighs, and ankle regions. I have applied permetherin cream and washed my clothes and linnens, however, so I hope that will suffice in getting rid of them. It's always interesting when you can say that you contracted such a communicable disease on your mission.

Fourth, I experienced one of the saddest moments of my mission yesterday at church. I was told that Costel Cioncau, whom I worked with a year ago and turned out to be the first of my investigators to be baptized, was killed on the way to an appointment with my companion and me a week ago Friday. This was also a day before his and my birthday, October 21st, for which we were planning on doing a small surprise party for him, making a carrot cake, singing, etc... He would have been 48. As you will remember, Costel had a very hard life. A week after being baptized last September his house was flooded, he lost his job, his block was evacuated, and he was stuck living with his mother in a cold, wet, abandoned single-room apartment, eating bread and mamaliga to survive. He was going to school in Bucharest, working on a Masters degree in social aid and psychology, but was unable to get a job. Throughout this trial, he continued to come to all three hours of church, meet with us missionaries about 3 times a week, and hold strong to his faith. After I left, however, he felt unsupported and, occupied with eeking out a living, fell away from activity. He worked one job for three months on the promise of payment, but never received a check. Disappointed and without judicial means of getting reimbursed, he took another job, but that one paid only enough for him to pay his transit. When a raise didn't come, he was forced to quit that job as well. When I came back to Ploiesti, he was still looking for work and a home, still living in the same abandoned block, and still without any concrete hope in the future. Mercifully, a week and a half after the Lord transferred me back here to Ploiesti, Costel met a member by chance on the street, talked to him for a bit, and heard that I was back in town. He came to church, started coming to English, and was overjoyed -- as was I -- to restart our friendship of last year. He got over his feelings of abandonment and rededicated himself to full activity. He helped us teach a couple lessons and proved to be as strong in his testimony as he was a year ago. His last Sunday at church before the Friday of his death was Branch Conference. There, in the second hour, he bore his testimony for the first, and last, time before a full congregation, wherein he thanked God for the strength he had gained to carry on through finding this path, His true church. He stayed after the conference to see the baptism of an older couple, and then he left... I thank the Lord that I had the chance to see him again, to help him come back to activity in the church, and to prepare him to accept the higher doctrines of the kingdom from the other side of the veil. What a tender mercy not to have lost him to the oblivion he had fallen into before I had reestablished contact. And though I am really sad to have him leave my life in such a way -- found dead on the highway next to his bike -- I am truly greatful for the peace of the gospel, the truth of the resurrection, and the knowledge of eternal covenants. His life was full of tumult, may his death bring him the peace that he so yearned for.

I am very greatful to be serving a mission in this amazing country! I love Romania and its people! I am very sad to be white-washed out of Ploiesti, but I know that the Lord is in charge, and those members and investigators I leave behind will be taken care of. Thank you for all of your love and support.

Much love,
Elder Frahm

PS. I did get the letters and I loved all the cards. My district thought they were really funny, and it was a very pleasant surprise. I still await the package, but expect to get it maybe at transfer meeting on Wednesday.

No comments: