Monday, January 30, 2006

Happy in Buc

Hello Family,

Things are going really well here in Bucuresti. Indeed, it is rather cold, though it has been warming up in the last couple of days. Last week, it averaged around -10-15 C, which is the coldest the old men say that it's been since the forty's. Both the mucus in my nose and the Black Sea were frozen over due to the extreme temperatures. :) Although, I can't complain too much, as Jenn, apparently, has just received about 2 feet of snow in one day, and was feeling like it wasn't cold enough when the temperature rose above -20. But, then, she is a couple thousand miles north of me, I think.

As for the Senior Companion thing. Yeah, things are going pretty well. This last week has been kind of tough, numbers-wise, as we had Zone Conference, interviews with the Mission President, and a baptism (not of somebody we worked with, but somebody in our branch). However, all of these things combined to make it a very spiritually powerful and rewarding week, nonetheless. Zone Conference was about the power of the Book of Mormon to unlock the Atonement; about how, ultimately, everything that we teach must come back to the Atonement of Christ, to his suffering, death, and resurrection that we may be reconsiled to our Heavenly Father through forgiveness of our sins. We talked about how we can use the Book of Mormon to more clearly illustrate and to more powerful convey these truths. We also talked a good deal about learning the language so that we can present the message well enough to be understood.

Elder Pluim is great. He is the oldest of 11 kids. Yes, 11. He is a pretty good cook, has a great singing voice (was in the Men's Choir at BYU), and strives hard to be a good, successful, obedient missionary. He is also a pretty jolly fellow, which is great! He has much to learn, being in just his second month in the country, but he is progressing quickly.

I think I told you last week about Bogdan, the man who I thought may be pschizophrenic who came to church with a member. Well, I don't think he is actually pschizophrenic, but he HAS been on neuro-psochotic medication since he was in college. He is loving the church and I think we will give him a baptismal date this week if he is ready.

Love much,
Elder Walker

No comments: