Thursday, July 10, 2014

Courtney in China, Letter 08

Hello all!

Lately, I can't remember what America is like. I guess it is half way through the study abroad, but I feel like I have been living in China for years. I would give anything to eat an extra cheesy large pizza with onion and pineapple and garlic on top. I could talk all day about food from my foggy memory of America, and often times our conversations revolve around this topic. The food isn't too bad here, they have really good donuts - which is like bread cooked with a little bit of sugar and salt sprinkled on top. However the other day I was eating on and found a piece of hair cooked into the middle and wrapped around the entire donut. It was gross. They have the weirdest flavor chips here. One flavor was cheese and sea salt - which left a strangely sweet and bitter after taste in your mouth for hours! It was SOOOOOOOOO gross until about 2 days ago when I was so hungry that they become one of the best foods I've ever had. Anyway, point is I miss the delicious food of home. 
 
This week has been pretty chill, we went into Shanghai for church on Sunday, but other than that we have mostly been hanging around the campus and going places nearby. Sunday was fast Sunday and a lady got up to bear her testimony and in the middle invited our BYU group to her house to have dinner with her afterwards. It was pretty awkward, but we went over and she made us spaghetti and salad and bread. It was so good! On Monday the Bridgewaters invited us over to their new apartment to have FHE and they ordered 6 large Papa John Pizzas for everyone. They only got BBQ chicken and pepperoni, so I ate the BBQ chicken because I was so starving! It was a fun family night, they gave us prizes for the Amazing Race activity and we played Mafia which was fun. 

Our group in our free time is really big into playing games. One day we didn't have anything to do, so about 8 of us went to one of the canteens in between meal times and we played some card games. One game that we played was spoons. By the time we went through one round there was, no joke, 11 middle aged Chinese canteen workers watching us. They were having such a fun time watching us jump over each other to grab spoons. They were arguing with each other about what the rules were and stuff, some even played with us, it was a fun time! We have taken to playing games on subways, buses, planes, in classrooms, cafeterias, anywhere really. 

We are leaving tomorrow morning for Hangzhu city for the weekend. This past week has gone by so fast, I can't believe that are pretty much half way through July (ish)! I love China and I am having so much fun! I love the activities that we are doing and I love the people that I am with, I'm still not sure that I love molecule biology, but it's worth it! 


Hope everything at home is going well! Eat some Ole Ole fajitas for me! (and some Jacaranda pizza and garlic rolls, and the baked ziti, chocolate chip cookies, and cupcakes) 

No comments: