Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The rules to ZIP, ZAP, RATTLE-A-TAT, MOO, BOO, ZIGZAG



Because "Cheese-car" got such a resounding response, we have felt prompted to share with you the more advanced Zip, Zap, Rattle-a-tat, Moo, Boo, Zigzag. (A regional variation of the ever popular Zip, Zap, Marble Stone Yard - thanks to Kathy and Casandra)

Zip = dog
Zap = horse* 
Rattle-a-tat = aircraft
Moo = cow
Boo = cemetery
Zigzag = squirrel

The first person to see and call out the object gets one point.  Points are accumulated during drive segments -- scoring starts over when a the car is turned off, or when someone enters or leaves the car.  Disputes are engaged through pig-headed challenges, with gentle teasing, and settled with vigorous but respectful debate.

1st Amendment:  

  • *Double-zip is a bicycle or a motorcycle, being ridden.
  • *Double-double-zip is a tandem bike with two riders, a motorcycle with two riders, 
  • *Half a double-double-zip is a tandem bike being ridden by one person or a motorcycle ridden with an empty side car.


























1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fun! The person who taught me "Zip/Zap/Marble Stoneyard" claimed she made it up, so I'm intrigued to learn of these other variations. Admittedly, I made up my own variation to play on my way to/from work every day since there are no horses or graveyards along my route...now I'll have to add the cheese-car to my list!

I feel obliged to point out a couple of additional rules for posterity, though:

1.) If you see a whole bunch of dogs or a herd of horses, you can only count up to three points for yourself.
2.) Zips and Zaps must be alive to count for points (no statues, pictures, hood ornaments, etc. qualify--to be precise, I was told "It has to be able to poop").
3.) If you misidentify something (e.g. call "Zap" for a cow), you get docked a point.

Also, my mom claims that the driver automatically gets a 10-point head-start, but I don't know about that one. :-)

--Cassandra