In my family we often celebrated my father's birthday (Jan 22nd) and mine (Jan 24th) on the day in-between, the 23rd. For me, especially as a young boy, it meant that we had a special connection. I always had a tendency to identify with my dad, and the co-celebration only made it stronger. Over the years our mutual acknowledgement of birthdays became more and more lax, and we often would exchange birthday cards weeks or months late.
This is the first birthday since he has left us. I miss calling and talking with him about kids, psychology, politics, the weather, home repairs, etc. I miss that we would say "happy birthday!" to each other in a couple of weeks from now, when our schedules allowed that we connect.
Happy birthday, Dad. I miss you.

2 comments:
What a special family tradition! Happy birthday to you tomorrow, Steve!
Fun Family Blog!
Post a Comment