Monday, August 31, 2009

Nothin' Much is New...

"Hey, what's new?" you might ask.

My reply? "Nothing much." But then I remember, Courtney and Belle did just start back to school this past week. August 24th, to be exact. Belle loves her class -- she is in "gifted" with several of her past classmates and loves the activities and challenges that the energetic and friendly teacher gives the students. We parents love the 1:13 teacher/student ratio of her classroom.

Courtney is off to a great start in her junior year, although she did express anxiety over the advancement in years that accompany her advanced class-status. "Soon I'll be off to college, then I'll be getting married, have kids, and then die!" she told us after her first day back to school this year. It is almost tragic to stare death in the face at such a young age, isn't it? Audrey and I just had to laugh and laugh at that one...

My job remains pretty much unchanged, although I am preparing to begin a two-year masters program in psychopharmacology -- the class begins in a few weeks. I am grateful that I am not teaching early morning seminary this year. I do not now suffer from the sleep-deprivation headaches that I had had for so long several months ago. I am also grateful that we have a new Bishop for the Plantation Ward, our good friend Eric Penrod. He is such a good, patient, thoughtful, and learned man. He will be such an excellent leader of our ward family.

Audrey continues to work the finances at her job, and her employer has weathered the current economic storm pretty well. Aud is also the new Stake Relief Society President and has done just a wonderful job in the short few months she had been there. Tonight we ate a new salad that she is going to prepare for a RS gathering later next month.

Oh, there is one more thing, now that I think about it. Jenn and Walker had their baby on Sunday (30 August 2009) at about 6:30pm. He was 7lbs 2oz, 20 inches, 9/10 = Apgar. His name will be Atticus Walker Frahm. We spoke with Walker, who told a long tale of a longer birthing process -- I'll let him/her/them fill in the details -- but the end result has been an unqualified success with happy parents and healthy baby. We received the three pictures of Atticus, below, from Walker via cell phone. The resolution in the pictures is not great, but the subject is truly magnificant. Cogratulations, Jenn and Walker!



So, "what's new?" Well, in some ways, everything is brand-spanking-new once again!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the parents of Atticus and to the GrandParents -now that is new. Hope you experience the great joy of grandparenthood. If that isn't a word it should be, as it is a wonderful state to be in.
love,
dad

Stephanie Black said...

OK, that is ALOT going on in your lives. I loved reading it all. Congrats to you as new grandparents. He is very cute. He's born on a great day...that is Mackenzie's b-day too, although she's 3 now!

That would be awesome to be in the ward with Eric P as bishop. I bet everyone loves it. And to have Audrey as Stake RS Pres...there's absolutely no one better in the stake to do it than her (poor Audrey though)! Tell everyone Hi! We miss your family!

ashley said...

what a strong name! he has some living up to do!! congrats to you guys and jenn and walker. have fun visiting in a few weeks!

Steve Frahm said...

thanks for the nice comments, Dad, Steph, and Ash. Yes, Atticus is a very strong name. If you read about it in Wikipedia it is quite impressive the influence that the character of Atticus Finch has had in the legal community and elsewhere. I'm sure this little Atticus is likely to be just as influential.

Laura said...

Awesome post! Congrats of being Grandparents, very young ones at that. I love Courtney's comment about growing old. I remember feeling that way too, and then all of a sudden I have three kids and kind of wonder how that all happened when I'm still like 17.