This bug was on the outside of my office window. Do you know what kind it is? Read Cassandra's comment below to see that she has apparently solved the mystery. Click here.
3 comments:
Anonymous
said...
Very interesting! Hard to tell from the angle of the picture. It sort of looks like a "Walking Stick" (Phasmatodea) It is hard to tell how thick the body is and the Walking Sticks I have seen do not have the flared part on the back pair of legs. Enjoy the Holiday. Dad
Intrigued by this great photo, I decided I'd try to put my mad detective-skills to the test, and believe it or not, I think I might have figured it out! After finding out that there is a huge family of "leaf-footed" bugs (Coreidae), and looking through tons of pictures of them, for anything that looked remotely similar to the one on your window, I stumbled across this: http://www.pbase.com/merriwolf/image/76421642. Not only is the insect in the picture remarkably similar to yours, but to top it all off, you'll notice that the photo was also taken in Florida!
Okay, so the photographer didn't know EXACTLY what species it was, but he narrowed it down to a "Leptoglossus of some kind," anyway. Cool, huh?
3 comments:
Very interesting! Hard to tell from the angle of the picture. It sort of looks like a "Walking Stick" (Phasmatodea) It is hard to tell how thick the body is and the Walking Sticks I have seen do not have the flared part on the back pair of legs.
Enjoy the Holiday.
Dad
Intrigued by this great photo, I decided I'd try to put my mad detective-skills to the test, and believe it or not, I think I might have figured it out! After finding out that there is a huge family of "leaf-footed" bugs (Coreidae), and looking through tons of pictures of them, for anything that looked remotely similar to the one on your window, I stumbled across this: http://www.pbase.com/merriwolf/image/76421642. Not only is the insect in the picture remarkably similar to yours, but to top it all off, you'll notice that the photo was also taken in Florida!
Okay, so the photographer didn't know EXACTLY what species it was, but he narrowed it down to a "Leptoglossus of some kind," anyway. Cool, huh?
--Cassandra
Yes, I think that you solved the puzzle, Cassandra! Great job!!!
Post a Comment