

I left 70-80 degree weather in South Florida to go to Iowa where it was a high of 30 in the sunlight and in the teens at night.

















While driving from Davenport to Des Moines we witnessed 83 cars that had slid off the road into the ditch on the previous night when the roads were treacherously slippery. Our travel was otherwise uneventful.

Paul and Ella and I made Hawaiian meatballs to take to the memorial service. They are somewhat reluctant cooks these days. It was fun to laugh together as we struggled to make the recipe work.
The recipe for Hawaiian meatballs.
The relatives in Norway sent flowers to Aunt Jeanne's memorial service. Phil attended the funeral in Norway and he explained that in that service they took time to read the ribbons on the flowers. When a person's name was read it was there cue to say something about the deceased. It sounds like a great tradition.
Paula and Pat sang several great songs during the service. This picture of them is terrible, but their singing was terrific. We sang along and were filled with joy. For some reason I couldn't help but shed some tears while we all sang Michael Row Your Boat Ashore. I could just feel myself being a little kid and singing that song with Aunt Jeanne and a bunch of cousins, although I am not sure that that ever happened in real life.
Jake and Charlie were at the gathering. What a couple of handsome guys!
There was plenty of picture-taking, talking, and eating after the memorial service. I thought this was a great picture showing Paul Lamont cleaning up while many of the rest of us (including me) watched.
Paul Husby, Joan, Tracey...
Paula and Kathy...
Dad (Paul), Linda, Joan, Mark (some Frahms)...
Phil, Laura, Paul, Paula (some Husbys)...
Tim Frahm had the pleasure of living with the Husbys for about ten of his earliest years in life.
Tim, Phil, Laura, Richard, Paul, Paula, Pat...
Some of the extended Husby family...
Back at home in Davenport, Tim bought a Buick from a kindly old lady from the folks' church...
Kathy went to court and won her case (yea, Kathy!)...
Dad came down with an inconvenient chest cold that knocked him outta commission for a couple of days...
Ella spent plenty of time "reading," "watching tv," and occasionally taking a nap...
A childhood acquaintance even stopped by to reveal how much he has changed in the 35 years since I had seen him last...
Scamper (the cat) ruled the roost...
And Freckles waited eagerly to run enthusiastically.
No comments:
Post a Comment