Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Not-So-Super Tuesday


On Tuesday January 29th I worked as a Voter System Technician (VST) for voting district N043. I set-up and maintained the voting machines pictured above. My district was rather small (66 registered voters) so I only had two machines. 15 voters in my district was a new record high, I was told by those who had worked in that district for many years.

Weirdly enough, Florida votes for president were not very meaningful as the Democratic National Party had rendered party delegates invalid and the Republican National Party had reduced the delegate count for Florida, all because the Sunshine state had moved their primary election day to an earlier date. But there was one other question on the ballot, so voters were able to make a difference on a Home-Owners' Tax reducing referendum.

The poll work is long and tedious, starting at 5:30am and lasting until nearly 9pm, with not much to do but read books and talk with other poll workers. It was a great practice run for the big election in November which promises to be much busier and important.

No comments: