Monday, November 12, 2007

Recovering from Recovering






The pictures above show how we spent the weekend. I decided to recover my office couch (I've been planning on doing it for years, now. It is a great couch, but I have had to use a slip-cover over it because it was so torn) and so I brought it home Friday night and started the project at 8pm. You can see that I got Courtney involved in the sewing (of which there was surprisingly very little). Audrey was a wonderful help throughout the project. It turns out that re-upholstery work involved a whole lot of hand-strength. By the end of the project (and 150,000 staples removed and replaced) my hands were swollen and stiff and I held ice for relief. By the clocks you can see that we made great time: 8pm to 3am is only 7 hours -- except that it was 8pm Friday and 3am Sunday! Courtney, Audrey, and I probably invested a total of 20-22 man-hours on the couch, altogether.

We are happy with the final product. Another consequence of the long hours, however, is that Audrey and I both came down with headcolds over the weekend. So now we are recovering from recovering our couch.

And this is how it looks in my office, with new pillows and mandatory boxes of kleenex.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your clever caption caused me concern as I wondered what you were recovering from. Now I know and am relieved. Also admire your ambition and persistence. what a job that turned out to be. Sure looks like a new couch now. Hope everyone enjoys it.
love,
Dad

Steve Frahm said...

Yeah, who would have known that recovering a couch would be a twelve-step process? lol Psychology humor is so lame, isn't it? Thanks for the comment -- glad to know that our posts are read.