Monday, March 5, 2007

Bacau Double-take

ello Family,

So, I found out this morning that I will be staying here in Bacau, and that I will most likely be training again this next transfer. It is rather exciting news, as I could most possibly end my mission here in Bacau. It reminds me of Ammon from the Book of Mormon, Alma 17 telling King Lamoni that he wants naught but to stay a period among the people of the land, "perhaps until the day I die." And so it is with me in Bacau. Though I have experienced many disappointments in this city, I am thankful for the chance I have to stay one more transfer and to finish the work that I have started. The Lord is in charge, and I know that this means he yet has a work for me to do.

This past week, we have been working hard, but have struggled to keep our investigators going. Maria seems to be rather reluctant to make any commitments, tending rather towards the typical Romanian plea of all religions being good and established of God. She is now making a list comparing the relative benefits and detriments of being baptized in the church, and we are hopeful that her prayerful considerations will yield spiritual results. Other investigators have been dropping out due to the lack of commitment to come to church, mostly.

We have found a couple of really cool people recently, however, for which we are very excited. Among them is Iulian, a man in his early thirties, I believe, who stopped us on the streets and asked for a Book of Mormon. He is married, with a 7 year old girl and a boy on the way, and he seems to really be seeking a better way of life.

I have also enjoyed listening to talks by General Authorities this last week, which I do in the shower, or during lunch or any other free time. I really have found the scriptures being opened up as I search them and the words of the prophets. I love the power and focus I gain from pondering and searching the scriptures.

Well, we have a ton to do today to get ready, I will have to get going now, but please know I love you, I appreciate your prayers, and I look forward to hearing from you again next week.

Much love,
Elder Walker

No comments: