Monday, December 18, 2006

Rushin' with the Russian

Buna Familie,

I apologize ahead of time that I don't have very much time to write today, as we need to hurry out to a place in the countryside where we will be buying and slaughtering a turkey for our Christmas party this Tuesday.

Wednesday was transfer meeting and a huge surprise. As president was calling out the names of the new trainers, he called out my name and had me stand. I was confused because I knew that I would be training Elder Kozlenko when he gets here, and I had heard that he was still in Russia. Little did I know that when president had me stand, Elder Kozlenko was on a plane from Moscow. He finally got his visa, and I would be meeting him that very night. So, I stayed Wednesday night in Bucharest, and I had the unique experience of going with President and the APs to pick up my new companion from the airport. What a cool experience. Elder Kozlenko is about 6'4", but slim. Before his mission he was a DJ and a powerhouse among the youth in his branch in Saratov, Russia (the "best branch in Russia" he says). He has been a member since he was 13, and his dad is a counselor in the district presidency while his mother is a district family history rep. He is a great Elder and will be a powerful missionary. It is a tad difficult for him to learn the language, as he has forgotten almost everything from the MTC, and he has only been studying English since he entered the MTC about 3 months ago. BUT, his English is progressing rapidly, and his Romanian will surely follow, as I am making sure to have good, productive language study every day. Plus, he is teaching me a tad of Russian, which is just really horosho.

Things are going pretty well here in Bacau, though there have arisen a couple of problems in the last little bit. The biggest problem has been with Pres. Balasei. Though he continues to be a good guy, willing to help out with the branch, he proves continually inconsistent. We were planning on a low turn out for sacrament meeting yesterday, as 6 youth from the branch were at the conference in Bucharest, and Pres. Balasei was going to give a talk in sacrament meeting. Unfortunately, the turnout was even lower than expected, as not even Pres. Balasei showed up. So, we were forced to conduct the meeting, and come up with speakers at the last minute. The service went really well anyhow, it was just a bit frustrating. I taught Sunday School again, and we talked about the Atonement and Repentence, which turned out to be a really good lesson.

The weather here is nice. It is still rather warm, I think. In the 40s. It has yet to snow at all this winter, and it is looking to be a super mild season. My health is great, I DID get your Christmas package, and I am loving it here in Bacau. Take care, have a great week, and I will write you with Christmas contact details next week.

Much love,
Elder Frahm

No comments: