Monday, October 16, 2006

Vesti (News) from Ploiesti

Buna Familia,

Hey, how's it going? It sounds like you all had a really fun time this last week! I'm glad that Belle had a really fun b-day party and that Courter was able to keep up on schoolwork. Since when, by the way, is there a single's branch?

Unfortunately, I don't have much time to write this week, as I have had to spend some time making up programs for our Zone Conference, which will take place on Wednesday. We are really excited about our presentation, and are looking forward to it a lot, but it has taken a bit of time to prepare.

I will quickly go through and list some of the highlights:

1) Yesterday, we had branch conference. The topic was on tithing, and we had four investigators come to church, so we were really glad for that. That is one of those topics that is always better to have a Romanian teach, as they have the personal experiences that really matter to investigators. Four members gave talks, followed by Elder and Sister Johnston, the humanitarian aid couple in Romania. He also serves as 2nd counselor in the Mission Presidency. They gave some really amazing talks, and all the members and investigators were really impressed. There was a meeting afterwards for recent converts and investigators. To my glee, Costel (my first convert) got up and bore his testimony in this meeting. He has been coming back to church, and seems to be doing better and in good spirits. Daniel was also there, but still not feeling too chipper.

2) After the Conference, there were 2 baptisms!! An older couple, in their early 80s, got baptised. They are very cute and will be great members. I was able to interview the wife for baptism, and it was quite a fun experience to talk to her, though I had to pretty much shout because she can't hear really well. They got married when he was 17 and she was 18, and they have been together now for 53 years! That is quite a deal, especially in Romania!!

3) We also had a really good experience with a family that was referred to us this week. Last night we went to teach the Petru family, which consists of a mother and her three children. The father died three months ago, and, as you can imagine, the mother is pretty shaken up. She is searching for some understanding and was really receptive to the message of the restored gospel and to the possibility of finding out that there IS a life after death. We gave her and her children a Book of Mormon, and they seem very excited to read. She says she does not feel prepared to come to church yet, but that she would like for her kids to see how it is. I think that when she finds out about God's plan for us, and that she can know it for herself by gaining a personal testimony of the restored gospel, she will finally have the peace she needs so bad. We have great hopes for her and her family!!

4) Unfortunately, I did get a bit sick this week. It is nothing too serious, just a troublesome cold, but it has been bothersome enough to keep us indoors a bit. I really hate that either me or my companion has constantly been sick almost our entire transfer together!! It is frustrating, but I suppose it is a way for the Lord to help us grow and learn to rely more upon Him. Plus the fact, that I think I relate better than ever to Jenn and what it must be like for her to deal with annoying allergy and asthma symptoms. I do, however, have plenty of winter clothes, so don't worry about me at all.

Well, I have better get going. Thanks for your letters and for your love and support. Don't forget to look up what needs to be done for my reapplication to Yale - that would be a bad deadline to miss! - though, I believe it is still a few months away.

Love muchly,
Elder Walker

No comments: