Sunday, September 17, 2006

Office Au Revoir

Hello My Wonderful Family,

I'm not sure if I spelled the subject line correctly, but I hope the gist gets across. That is, I will be leaving the office in the near future. Probably in about 4 days, actually. It is still just kind of a whirlwind of a feeling that hasn't quite sunk in that, after nearly 6 months in the office, I will be heading back out into the field. I don't yet know where I will be going or with whom I will serve, but I am sure that I will be doing what the Lord would have me do. I am kind of expecting to train, but I will not be at all disappointed if I do not. I am just really pumped, though a bit overwhelmed to shift the responsibility of running the mission office to Elder Hurley and to get back into the work. I am not sure when I will have the time to wrap everything up, loose office ends, packing, etc.. in the midst of transfer week turmoil, but it will all work out.. somehow. :)

As for the message about parents being advised to not come, I told you that very much out of responsibility. President Ashby said that we should all tell our parents, but that if, after we told them, they still want to come, that would be fine. At first, I wasn't going to say anything, so as not to get you worked up at all (and since I couldn't find a way to phrase it really well), but in the end I figured it would only be fair to you to let you know what we were told. For my part, I would love you to come and pick me up and to get have the chance to show you around this amazing country!! I honestly can't wait, and I know it will be a great time. (Plus the chance to see Europe a bit will be fun.)

In this past week, we have been keeping really busy, but also making time to get out and do a decent amount of missionary work. On Monday, after doing our daily office work and meeting with President Ashby to talk about a sticky financial situation in Constanta, we went to visit the Ahmad family. The husband and wife are both from Syria, and they have three children (ages 12, 10, and 6), only the youngest of which was born in Romania. They came into the country about 6 years ago for him to attend a doctoral program in engineering, but after 3 years his scholarship was rejected without a motive and he had to interrupt his studies. By that time, they had joined the church, and going back to Syria would not only distance them from that, but would endanger their lives. So, having strong testimonies and a desire to serve, they have done what they can, taking what jobs they can and actually earning a pretty good living. He is the second counselor in the branch, and they are one of few families that never miss a week. Ever. They made us some really good Syrian food and we shared with them a presentation on Christ, with music, pictures and reading from the scriptures. They are a great family. Their kids, by the way, speak Arabic at home, Romanian on the streets and at church, and English at school, so that they are very fluidly tri-lingual. The youngest daughter is very cute and smart and reminds me of Belle. The older daughter, age 10, is kind of goofy and also very cute and reminds me a lot of Quarter.

Anyway, on Tuesday, we spent much of the day preparing for visas next week, and buying a fridge for one of the apartments here in Bucuresti. We tried visiting a member in the evening, but he was not home when he said he would be. On Wednesday, we attended our district meeting at 3:30. From there, we went to a couple of member lessons we had scheduled, which went really well. We even got a new potential investigator who said he will come to church next Sunday when the new chapel will be dedicated. (Don't tell anybody, but that will also be the occasion of three branches in Bucuresti [Sect. 5, 6, and 1] being combined. It's absolutely top secret that it will happen, though, so nobody can find out about it until after the 24th of Sept. That means no telling the greenies, MTC teachers. ;) It is pretty exciting because that means there will be a branch in Bucuresti with 150 ACTIVE members. To have a completely functioning branch here would truly be a miracle and a blessing!)

On Thursday, we did exchanges with our District Leader and his trainee. I went with the greenie and had a really fun time block knocking. We even met a lady who played on the Romanian national basketball team for 16 years. She was very big and had major knee problems, but was quite friendly. Hopefully we will find time to go back there at some point!

Then, yesterday, we spent much of the day being very busy. We left at 5:00 and went to eat at Ruby Tuesdays, an office elder tradition, for only the very first time this transfer, after which we went to the new chapel to give a blessing to a member who is struggling with some problems. After that, we went on exchanges with the other companionship in Sector 1 so that Elder Larson (who is going home on Wed. and who is an amazing singer) and Elder Hurley (also a good singer) could practice for a musical number they will do today (Sunday) while I went with Elder Larson's companion to an appointment. An overall enjoyable evening.

Then, finally, Saturday, we travelled down to Constanta, where we had a very long, laborious, but productive audit. They have been into some very sketchy financial practices down there, and while there appears to be no dishonesty or theft, there was enough suspicion to necessitate a very thorough going over of their books. In the end, we figured out how to zero out their numbers and we all felt that we exited with a better understanding of what needs to be done, I think. We left, yesterday morning, at 10:00, and returned last night at 10:15. Oh how I will miss them office preparation days. *drooling with sarcasm*

Well, we have to go to church now. I will let you know in a week just how things are going with me and my new companion, area, etc.. Take care and know that you have my love and prayers.

Love muchly,
Elder Walker

No comments: