Buna Ziua Familia Mea,
Hello All!! Well, it sounds as if things are going just really well over on your end. I really enjoyed hearing about the girls' shopping experience; it is fun to hear of Belle's befriending of the grandmother and of her temper tantrum through the mall -- somehow, neither of these scenarios is very surprising at all. I'm sure Courtney will agree that it seems like just a couple of weeks ago that school got out over there! I guess the summer is running out, though, and school time is approaching. Belle will do great at Nova, and I'm sure that even Courtney will enjoy school once it gets going again.
This week was pretty uneventful, though the next one should be busy enough (as we will be going to Cluj, Deva, Oradea, Timisoara and preparing for the new missionary arrivals, which include Chiara Gallo). The most interesting occurrence of the week was the arrival of Elder and Sister Wright. They are from Washington and will be serving in Iasi, on the east side of the country. He is a carpenter and former butcher and looks kind of like a beardless Lazer Woolf from "Fiddler on the Roof." She is very energetic and, aside from a rather adamant belief in naturepaths, seems very normal on the whole. I believe that they will do a lot of good for that branch. Accompanying their arrival, of course, was the necessity of us processing their visas. Since Elder Bart and Elder Facer had to go do an audit in Sibiu on Wednesday, that being the day we had most of the running around to do, I went by myself (with a senior missionary companion) for the first time to change money, to pay taxes, etc.. It was kind of a fun experience being in charge and carrying around all the money -- mwuhaha.
On that note, we are pretty sure that Elder Bart is going to leave at this next transfer. We are not so sure, however, that they are actually going to have a transfer meeting, as per the usual. We are one of the very few missions who actually gather up all the missionaries who are being transferred into a central meeting place (Bucharest) and tell them at the transfer meeting where they are going and with whom they are to be serving. In other missions, you receive a phone call saying that you are either staying or leaving (in which case they tell you where to go and who to meet). The way we do it is very expensive and detrimental to missionary work on the week of transfers as many missionaries are traveling a full day to Bucharest, then another full day to wherever they will be serving. BUT, traditions die hard and everybody loves transfer meetings as they are a chance to see and interact with other missionaries, and they seem to unify the mission. Plus the concerns of having missionaries travel alone, especially sisters. Some arrangement would have to be made to prevent sisters from traveling solo, I think, as it just isn't safe here. A few weeks ago, President and the assistants made an unexplained phone call transfer, where they just called up two random missionaries and told them to pack their bags and switch cities. Living in the same apartment with the assistants, we have also been hearing them talk alot about the effects of transfer meeting. So, we are speculating that their may, perhaps, not be a transfer meeting at the end of this transfer. I think it would be the right decision, but certainly not a very popular one -- at least initially. But then, that's the life of a missionary: to suck it up and obey your leaders. Things always seem to go better and you will always be happier if you do this, I believe.
Well, as far as the Yale application stuff goes, I can't say that I really have much more of an idea than you. I believe that you received at one point a letter from the Dean of JE, right? If I recall correctly, I think that you will need to reapply for me sometime in February or March, but look that up. :) The important thing, of course, is to make sure to apply for financial aid, as without that, I think Yale will be a bit out of my price range. If I get some free time, I'll see if I can look up the info on the school website. To play it safe, you could always call the school, as well.
AS for post-mission travels, I have been thinking that 2-3 days will probably be good for Romania. I would also really like to see Italy or Barcelona perhaps, but I'm just throwing that out there. I will be very happy to be with you wherever it is, and it doesn't really matter all that much to me exactly what we see or do.
Jenn, meanwhile, continues to excel, as far as I can tell. I hear from her regularly by email and letter. She is a really great friend and an inspiration as a missionary. Yes, I think Sweden is rather cold, which she really likes -- she's not too keen on super-hot weather.
Finally, in reference to my language skills. I thought for a period that they had kind of been stagnating with the lessened practice that I get in the office. I have found, however, that my comprehension and the fluidity with which I speak have, indeed, continued to progress. While I do still have a bit of an accent, which will probably never go away, I can hold my own in sounding Romanian, and I believe that I will just continue to get better. I really look forward to post-mission opportunities to read good Romanian novels, as well as the scriptures. I think that will be a really fun and illuminating way to continue to increase my capacity of the language even after I leave the country.
For the time being, however, I love to read the scriptures, in whatever language. There truly is power and strength to be found in all the writings of the prophets of the Lord, be they contained in books old or modern, Hebrew or Christian. I really do cherish the opportunity extended by Christ that we may come unto Him and repent of our sins, thus ever drawing nearer and nearer to that state of divine happiness found only in obedience, service, humility, patience, and love. I love being a missionary, and I seek to bring all men, myself included, closer to Christ every day. Thanks for being the wonderful, supportive, inspiring people that you are!!
With drag mult,
Elder Walker
No comments:
Post a Comment