Monday, April 3, 2006

Re: General Conference

Hello Family,

Sounds like things are going wonderfully as usual over there on the other side of the Atlantic. I am happy to hear that Courtney's B-Day party was a success, despite Belle's lack of attention getting (which is probably good for her to experience once in a blue moon :). It is also really nice to have Joe's home address. Does he have an e-mail address as well? I am super-excited to hear that he will be transferring up to UF!! Good for him!

It is also really encouraging to hear that you are replenishing the food storage and taking all necessary measures to be ready for the upcoming hurricane season. It truly is amazing to see how the teachings of the world, in the end, are beginning, in some aspects, to catch up with the instructions and council of the prophets.

As for conference, I, as well, really enjoyed it! I watched the first three sessions and priesthood; all in Romanian. (The Sunday afternoon session was too late for us to see.) It was neat to hear the voice of Brother Vance, one of my MTC teachers, translating for Elder Packer and a couple of other speakers in the Saturday evening session. I thought that he was, by far, the best American translator. (Even though his pronunciation of the word "suflet", meaning "soul," was consistently on the second syllable instead of the first.) Indeed, I thought it was really interesting, as well, that President Hinckley came down so much on racism in the world and in the church. Though, being here in Romania, I can appreciate how this council really applies in areas of the world such as this, where people are extremely racist regarding gypsies and, by association, all people with darker skin. While many gypsies here really do live lives of crime and filth, I can't help but make the comparison to black Americans, who many good people (incorrectly) thought to be incurably incompetent until they were given an equal chance in society. I think that Romania, and much of Europe, in fact, could benefit from a similar perspective in regards to the marginalized classes and races that have been here for centuries.

As for Jenn, she has been using the bus system for the past few months, since she and her companion were in a car accident a bit ago. But, they will shortly be getting a new car, and this time she will be driving, meaning that she will have to learn to drive a stick shift. *heh heh heh*

The crazy coincidence is that, I too, will be learning to drive stick shift in the next couple of months, in Romania (which is quite a chaotic practice environment!). Yes, I have been called to be one of the two office elders for the Romania Buchurest Mission. I never thought that I would serve in the office, but I am really excited to do so. It has, of course, its ups and downs. For one, I will not have as much time for proselyting activities; though we will be doing what we can to use whatever time we have to find and teach. On the other hand, I will gain some valuable office skills and experience in learning how to manage finances, perform audits, and basically learn how to run a mission (plus driving a stick shift on occassion). Plus, I was able, just now, to verify the fact that, indeed, Kiara Gallo was called to serve here. Kind of cool. It will take some adjusting to this DRASTICALLY different role that I will be filling for the next little bit, but I know that since it is the Lord's will, I will succeed.

Thanks for all of your support and love. I will see what I can do about sending you pictures, and I look forward to talking to you next week.

Love muchly,
Elder Walker

No comments: